Saturday, December 20, 2008

It's Christmas Time...

Here we are again, and I thought I'd be in a different place, literally and figuratively. I was supposed to be divorced by now, flush with a little settlement money, and my holidays were supposed to go like this: Thanksgiving was PARIS, by myself. Instead, I had my dad, brother and INLAWS over. 

Christmas was supposed to be in LONDON, taking in all the sights and sounds of a similar culture's Christmas traditions. Tea in Knightsbridge or at the Savoy, Christmas dinner at Claridge's or someplace equally as awesome. 

Then the great one: New Year's Eve. It was to be in Bruges, or Naples, or Iceland, or maybe even that hotel in Sweden that's made completely out of ice. Someplace new to welcome in the new year, someplace where being alone on New Year's Eve would be OK. Someplace I'd be alone but not lonely. A place with a different language, different customs, a different time zone. Anything not to be alone (again) on New Year's Eve here in the same old house doing the same old things. Every other New Year's Eve for the past 20 years was spent at the same cousins' party. I like these particular cousins, but I am tired of the same party, so for the past two years I've stayed home, watching Marx Brothers marathons (fun) or something else fun on TV. Me and the 18-year-old cat. Together, alone, welcoming in a brand new year full of promise.

But this year was supposed to be me welcoming in a whole new life! On another continent! Someplace groovy. Not here, in the same old house, with the same old cat, wishing for the same old things.

That old song, "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" really gets me. At least it gets me this year. It's a melancholy tune, one that I usually like, but this year I can't bear to hear it. 

Here's to a whole new year. A whole new life, maybe? I know it's a couple of weeks off, but I'm girding myself now. Even Barry Manilow had a song about New Year's Eve: "It's just another New Year's Eve, another one like all the rest..." so maybe he stayed alone, too.

Time will tell.

2 Comments:

Blogger theresa said...

Meloncholy...'tis the season.

I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a new year filled with fun and frivolity.

Hop a plane to Tulsa and ring in the new year with us! We stay home (no one ever invites us to a party...) and play games with the kids. They are getting Rock Band for Christmas, so it promises to be a truly New Year's Rockin' Eve...minus Dick Clark. Don't spend it alone, here or abroad. Even the cousin's party would be better...the cat won't care.

December 20, 2008 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

I'd LOVE to play games with you and your kids. Rock Band is awesome, from what I've heard about it...

I'm not sure I'm invited to the cousins' party again this year. We've been getting Christmas cards addressed to each of us separately--his family sends to him, and mine to me. Our friends still send to us both, but family lines have been drawn up and I'm afraid I'm not included in this Red Rover game. It's fine with me.

Your New Year's Eve sounds wonderful. You are very blessed. I know it's very very very hard work and that it's frustrating, but there is no better or harder job in the world than parent.

Enjoy Rock Band--is there a mellophone in it? ha

December 23, 2008 at 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home