Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Compliments Are A Girl's Best Friend

How nice. Finally. No skeevy weird Grampa fantasy... a real compliment from a so-far normal guy.

I'm in the e-mail stage of forming "relationships," because, frankly, I don't want another man telling me what to do. Had that for 20 years. NO THANK YOU. So I'm taking my time, sticking a toe in the dating pool. Just a toe. Just e-mail. No plans to meet any of these guys. No coffee. No drinks. No dinner. No NOTHING. I am upfront and tell them that, and most of them stomp off the Internet in a huff.

Usually, after e-mailing for a bit, they want, inevitably, to meet. Which is understandable. I get it. I'm just not invested in meeting anyone in person right now. Maybe never. These dating sites are full of bizarre, lonely nutjobs. Among these nuts are some nice men. Everyone seems lonely, which I understand. I'm just not the woman for them.

Sometimes the e-mails are funny, often they are nice, occasionally they are salty. I like the nice, funny ones; the ones that are smart, well thought-out, well-written, and humorous. Like this one... now, this man has never met me. He's seen a black-and-white photo only. He's read a short profile. C'est fini. But this little gem cracked me up:

"I don't get enough replies from women in my own peer group...especially not exceptionally sexy ones with that "naughty intellectual librarian" persona (please don't take offense as this is intended as a compliment)... :) Being in publishing, I have no doubt you've heard it all before, but you definitely project a unique Jane Seymour/Angelina Jolie aura that blends just the right quantity of 'smart' and 'mischievous' with a touch of 'repressed English teacher yearning to break free and dance with reckless abandon on the tables of a Greek restaurant'. I can't quite put my finger on it...but I'd like to...(sorry...sentence ending in preposition...shame on me). Well, you were warned by Mae West, yes? "Give a man a free hand and he'll run it all over you." We're loathsome vile creatures, yes?"

Ah, a funny man who compliments me is priceless. I've never been compared to Angelina Jolie before, and I'm not sure I want to be, as I have no desire to adopt the entire world...but the dancing on tabletops in a Greek restaurant? How did he know? :-)

He quotes Mae West and pokes fun at his male species. Also priceless.

This e-mail made my entire day, especially now that B has left the Internet completely. He closed his profiles on Facebook and MySpace. Nothing left of him anywhere. The e-mails from him have ceased completely, even though he wants to be my "friend." Sorry, B, friends don't leave friends in the lurch during a trying time. Friends are there to listen and console and laugh and celebrate and commiserate and SHARE life. Not run away for reasons unknown.

I'll probably never be friends with these e-mail dudes, even the funny ones who compliment me, but B was different. I thought we'd always be friends. I was, sadly, very very wrong.

Life is funny. I don't appreciate it most of the time, so days like this, when I get a silly complimentary e-mail, I get just a taste of fun and my spirits lift and I think that life is pretty good.

1 Comments:

Blogger theresa said...

He pulled stakes and ran...what a schmuck. Consider yourself lucky. He's the dude who would strand you at the alter, if it ever got that far. Knowing your history, he still wasted another year of your life. I hate him!!!

Compliment guy sounds kind of cool. See if he can keep it up. No pun intended! You never know who may be lurking, er, I mean, waiting patiently for someone like you.

My wish is that I could give you stellar advice. I am so bad at giving advice, though. So, I'm going to pray that you find true happiness and peace. And that you enjoy smart guys like the ones that compare you to AJ.

February 24, 2009 at 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home