Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Some Momentum

FINALLY!

My life is slowly but surely starting to move in a positive direction. IT'S ABOUT TIME! Months, years I've been waiting for movement, and now it's here with a vengeance!

I got a job. Sure, it's just a three-month contract (which could lead to more months or perhaps another job within the same giant company). BUT it gives me solid money for my summer trip to Peru. I wanted to go last year when a friend asked me, but I had no cash. So my friend and I planned for July, 2009, to head to Peru for the trip of a LIFETIME. More details on Peru as I get them....

A literary agent FINALLY wants to read one of my manuscripts. Years I've been writing query letters to agents and editors. Years of postcard rejections. Cold, impersonal. No real person on the other end to give any feedback. Just rejection after rejection from everyone. And now, an excellent agent wants to actually read (and perhaps comment on, or perhaps agree to represent) one of my manuscripts. HALLELUJAH! It will be so much easier to create books with an agent talking to editors instead of me knocking blindly on doors with my little query letters in my hand. Sure, it's just a children's book. That's how I plan to start: small. Then get bigger. And better. And keep learning and upping my game.

This is just the first step in a series of steps.

When I got my acceptance letter last night, I almost threw it away. I could see another impersonal postcard inside the Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope I'd provided. No, I thought. ANOTHER rejection.

The soon-to-be ex-spouse was standing at the kitchen counter eating tacos from Taco Bell. "Just open it," he said.

"It's just another effing rejection," I said. "I'm just gonna toss it."

"Just OPEN it. Don't be a baby," he said.

So I opened it and read, with utter surprise: "...We were pleased to receive the letter describing your book and we invite you to submit the entire manuscript for consideration...."

WOW! It was even addressed to "Dear Author." AUTHOR! Finally someone besides myself is calling me an author. It all feels a bit late in the game, but I'll take it!

"You go, girlfriend," shouted my friend today. "You're getting jobs, talking to agents. Quick, sign something so I can sell it when you get famous! Oh, and buy a lottery ticket. It's your lucky time!"

Meanwhile, things on the B front continue to improve. My heart is not the same, though, and that influences my head (of course) and while I'm happy to be communicating again, I'm not over the moon like I was. Things are in perspective. FINALLY.

Momentum is good. Good-bye to sprawling on the bed watching hours of Law & Order, petting the cat, folding laundry, poking around the house, reading books, writing in my journal. Hello, momentum!

I might just go buy that lottery ticket.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Colleen,
Congratulations on having your manuscript read. Woo Hoo!

-K Tiberius P

March 19, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home